[Clipart] Searching with images 2

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Feb 2 10:44:49 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 13:15 +0000, tom whiteley wrote:
> Hi there,
> Thank you for all the kind comments and links.
>
> I've updated the web interface for the image searcher so it's a bit
> easier to use and gives a better experience for anyone using IE.
> ( http://www.lococitato.com/search_with_pic/search_with_pic.html )
>
> I've very pleased you want to incorporate this search into the open
> clip art site, I wasn't expecting that, so I hadn't actually thought
> about how to distribute the application/code or whether to open source
> it or what.
>
> My motivation in developing the search tool was, in a decreasing order
> of realism:
>
> 1. Get the idea out of my head, so it would stop bothering me
> 2. Increase traffic to my website
> 3. Have something nice for companies reading my cv to look at.
> 4. Bag a job with Google, Yahoo etc...
> 5. Have Google/Yahoo etc license the app and retire, spending my time
> with my family, music and a doing a close and intricate study of
> French wine.
>
> So 4 and 5 aren't terribly likely, but we have to live in hope.
>
> What it comes down to is I'm happy to integrate the tool into your web
> site, but I'm not quite ready to release how the search algorithm
> works, partly in hope of 4 or 5 partly because I think it could be
> better.
>
> If there's more demand to use this tool I'll have to think about how
> to licence it, possibly along the lines of the mysql licence. But that
> seems a little presumptive at the moment.
>
> So if the programs to search and add to the search database were
> closed source binaries, would this be acceptable to you?

Well, you know, in the end there is no rush to get your code into the
site, but linking to your project and giving you traffic is probably a
better benefit. In the end, we need to focus on our ccHost migration and
upcoming contests. Also, we do like to support Open Source, so lets chat
about any site integration when you go open source, but in the meantime
figure out how to link to your project, etc.

The changes are cool and its great what you are doing...it would be
really great to get your help on our main site to help us finish our
migration. Would this interest you at all?

Jon