[Clipart] Planet OpenClipArt

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Feb 12 16:03:34 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 09:51 +0200, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> Ryan wrote:
> >> nicu Wrote:
> >
> > I read the planet everyday, and there are some blogs on there from people
> > that I have never seen around openclipart...
>
> I was very conservative with adding people but added a few at Rejon's
> suggestion
>
> > IMO, I would prefer people whose blogs pertain a bit more to clipart,
> > (quantity over quality) even if this is removing some blogs off...
>
> I am myself somewhat guilty of this and not blogged much about clipart
> lately (but if this is an excuse, I have not worked much on clipart
> lately - shame on me)
>
> >> - put more feeds from ccHost into planet. Any ideas here?
> >
> > I think the editiors picks should be on there now...
>
> The feed from http://openclipart.org/media/editorial/picks/, namely
> http://openclipart.org/media/podcast/page?tags=editorial_pick ?
> This is not good for aggregating in planet (see below).
>
> > I am going to stop posting the cliparts of the week in the main page news
> > blog, and start just adding them to the editors picks, so my opinion is to
> > add that feed to the planet.
>
> The editors picks feed does not contain the clipart thumbnails in a way
> usable by PlanetPlanet, so aggregating them will give only a link to the
> title, pleasee keep "clipart of the week" on the main page news until we
> have an usable feed for editors picks.

Yes, this is true I think...

> > Ill just add my two cents here too, maybe the skin for the planet site could
> > do with a bit of a revamp:
>
> Sure, a change in CSS is much needed, the old one was made to fit the
> look of the main site, now the look of the site was changed, the planet
> look should be updated also.
> I don't think will be able to work myself on this in the near future, so
> any help is appreciated.

Cool...maybe the easiest change is to just use the current OCAL.o css
file, see what breaks and change the current html of the planet to get
it in sync. That would seem like a safe strategy...

> > Also, higher visible links to the planet from the main site, and maybe a
> > description of what a "planet" is at the top of the planet would help new
> > people understand whats going on. (when I first discovered about
> > openclipart, I had only a little knowledge of feeds and aggregation, and had
> > no idea what planetplanet was)

Is there anyone we should remove from our planet? We could set a
timeline of responding to our call to stay on our planet. Otherwise, I
think better to have more blogger rather than less.

Heya, one thought is that we could simply display our planet feed on our
main page too, to help cross-pollinate the site, like it is on
http://ccmixter.org

Anyone else on here want to add your blog? Momo? I think if we all just
decide to blog at least 1-2 times a week about OCAL.o, things will be a
in good shape...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org