[Clipart] two questions

Theresa Knott theresaknott at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 04:39:46 PST 2007

On 2/15/07, Rita Laurance <ritalouise2 at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>he first is- I created a clipart by making a drawing from a
>commercial photo. I didn't scan or duplicate the photo in any way- it
>is a free drawing, but I am wondering if the copywrite of a photo
>includes any and all objects within it. If they recognize this image
>from the photo, is it an illegal clipart?

The view on wikipedia, who are absolutely and completely paranoid over
potential copyright violations is that if the image is recognizable
from the original then iit is a derived work and therefore a possible
copyright violation.

Having said that, commercial images are often a great source of
inspiration. Personally I get around the copyright problem by using
several images of the same object and then drawing my own image from
that.

> The second- I have been making cliparts and then exporting them as pngs, then I reintroduce them into another svg file with other images in it, but when I go to open the svg file, there is a big x and an error message reads that the embedded object cannot be found. Luckily, I've been exporting all of my finished work. But I have several missing embedded images in my svg files. Can this be addressed in the next svg version, or has it been- I haven't yet downloaded the new svg.

You  do realise that you can import the svg into another svg file
without having to export to png ?

Theresa

--

http://theresaknott.googlepages.com/home