[Clipart] 3d mesh/object library

Ale Fernandez a.fernandez at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 05:25:07 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm writing this just before going on holiday for a week (back next
Tuesday), but I just wanted to start off the discussions which have been
going on on the cc-community mailing list, to do with setting up a
version of openclipart that deals with CC licensed (or similar) 3d
objects.

Here is a copy of that discussion. And oops, I should have said that my
name is Ale Fernandez, I'm a technical researcher at the Institute for
Learning and Research Technology in Bristol, UK, and I'm very interested
in doing this with an eye towards it's use by UK higher education
institutions.

Speak soon!

Ale

----

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 10:41 +0100, Ale Fernandez wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if anyone knows where I can find .blend or .3ds files, or
even
> vrml files under CC licenses?
>
> I'm interested in putting together some kind of repository of CC
> licenced 3d objects for use in game engines. I tried looking on
deviant,
> and with google and on the cc site's search, with little luck except
for
> the files included with some tutorials here and there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ale

(NOTE: I'm taking off my creative commons hat here towards my own
professional open source involvements ;)

Hey Ale, if you would be interested, Open Clip Art Library and Open Font
Library have considered making a 3d library version that stores CC
licensed 3d assets. We now have infrastructure on OSUOSL which can scale
quite well...if you'd be interested in helping with this, I could help
you get started.

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 18:28 +0200, Alessandro Argentini wrote:
> Here are some other links
>
> http://virtualworlds.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page A wiki hosted by Wikia,
> I'm the founder of this wikia. it is open to anyone to edit like any
> other wikia. The pages describe content taken from free games licensed
> under freecontent approved licenses.
>
> http://www.lowpolycoop.com/ a cooperative that creates model packs for
> games, the packs are licensed under cc-by 2.5
>
> http://freegamearts.myexp.de/ a site that promotes free and open
> source game resources (it has a forum)
>
> http://www.worldforge.org/ it aims to be a sourceforge for virtual
> worlds. It has a subversion media repository (content under GPL+GDFL
> double license or public domain), but in the wiki of the project there
> is a page for a better media repository
> http://wiki.worldforge.org/wiki/Media_Repository
>
> Can I have more info about the 3d assets library planned by OSUOSL,
> Open Clip Art Library and Open Font Library?

Sure, see : http://opencontentlibrary.org and
http://creativecommons.org/project/cchost

Would you like to talk more about and/or do you have time to commit to
this? That is the big thing about this type of project, having time to
keep it running...the other sites you mention seem to do it
well...worldforge is a bit amiss and the community is kind of negative,
too large scale in focus. It would be great to have a repository just to
upload/download 3d assets to and from...build a community around
those...

Jon

cc-community at lists.ibiblio.org

date

28-Jul-2007 11:28

subject

Re:
[cc-community] 3d meshes

mailed-by

gmail.com

I'm interested as well in this - UK HE would benefit from it, and the
JISC (for those who know what that is) have just issued a call that
might be right to fund such a thing for the UK - I imagine it wouldn't
be hard to do. I've forwarded your mail around, and hope to get an
answer soon, but I think it's a great idea and I hope to promote it!

Can we take discussions further on this on this list, or directly
somewhere?

Thanks for all the info on this as well

Ale

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 11:28 +0100, Ale Fernandez wrote:
> I'm interested as well in this - UK HE would benefit from it, and the
> JISC (for those who know what that is) have just issued a call that
> might be right to fund such a thing for the UK - I imagine it wouldn't
> be hard to do. I've forwarded your mail around, and hope to get an
> answer soon, but I think it's a great idea and I hope to promote it!
>
> Can we take discussions further on this on this list, or directly
somewhere?

> Thanks for all the info on this as well
>
> Ale

We could discuss on the openclipart.org list:
http://openclipart.org/discussion

Otherwise, if there is energy, lets do it!

jon