[Clipart] OT: large high-resolution images for printing large?

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Sat May 12 00:46:55 PDT 2007

Library of Congress Prints And Photographs Online has some very large
and cool historical photos.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/catalog.html

Unfortunately, you can't search by size or status, so it takes some
digging to find ones that can be downloaded at a big enough size AND
have the "no known restrictions on publication" notation in their
bibliographical entry.  But some of the stuff is so cool, it makes it
worth the effort

For example, this photo I've got on my site...

http://www.fundraw.com/browse/showdrawing/BDEVIIW2SY

... is available at 3986x3834 at the Library of Congress site.  It needs
a little cropping, but you can easily get a 3600 x 2400 crop out of it
that will print up nicely as a 24x18 at a commercial printer.

As for your existing stuff...

65 PPI could work.  The higher-end equipment, inks, and papers used by
commercial printers can give you photo quality at much lower PPI than
home inkjets.  Kodak's "minimum recommended resolution" for a 20x30
print using their printing service at kodakgallery.com is only 1200x1800
which is 60 PPI.  I've had them do a good poster with 150 PPI back when
they were Ophoto and the technology's only improved.  I wouldn't expect
amazing quality from 65 PPI, but it might be workable for your purposes.

OTOH, these are photo printers using photo paper.  If you're printing
with an offset printer on a lower grade of paper (i.e. doing bulk), then
you need to have "camera ready" art which means a *minimum* of 300 PPI.

- Greg