[Clipart] Searching and download graphics

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:14:49 PDT 2007

Then again, there's also the option of merely re-evaluating what has to
be live and what can be almost live.

Since I add new batches of clipart to my library every 2-3 weeks, I
wrote a script that generates HTML indexes on demand.  My master index
page...

http://www.fundraw.com/clipart/

... and category index pages...

http://www.fundraw.com/clipart/categories/Princess_Clip_Art/00000181

... are all HTML flat files that I generate after a batch update to the
clipart database.  Same with the XML indices used by the clipart menu
within the FunDraw Art Studio application (the Flash-based design app
that all this clipart can be used in).

The server can deliver the straight HTML/XML with a simple disk read (or
memory read) instead of a larger database call.  That means lower memory
usage, lower disk usage, and fewer CPU cycles consumed.

For an example on the OCL site, the tag cloud is eminently cacheable as
a flat file.  Have a cron job update it every 6 hours as a flat file and
deliver that.  If you're getting 3,000 hits a day on it, you're saving
2,996 database operations daily (along with their associated increased
memory and CPU demands).

With a good analysis of traffic patterns and user preferences, you could
determine the best pages to set up as pre-generated on a periodic basis
vs. being on-demand, and cut overall server load by double-digit
percentages.

Get a good DBA to optimize the queries that remain on-demand and
optimize the caching of the query results and you might knock that down
by another double-digit percentage.

- Greg