[Clipart] Searching and download graphics

Alan alan at ccnsweb.com
Tue May 15 20:15:07 PDT 2007

I like your system, it looks good and it sounds efficient.

Primarily, what I'm thinking of is easing the load on the server as much
as possible, while covering for possible future server overloads or www
problems.  If the utility is local and thumbnails are local, then there
is no inconvenience to searching whether online or no, whether the www
is busy or no.

I like the idea of the flat files and since the local utility needs a
way to search, when updating it, why not pull the flat files or text
equivalents into the local utility and use it as a local search
function.  When updates are obtained, the flat files are updated with
the thumbnails.  Would this be an improvement on efficiency or an
unnecessary redundancy?  What about doing both?

Servers have a lot to do, so if we can set them to doing the bare
minimum, we can support more users.

The more efficient everything runs, the happier your user base will be,
and the more willing and happy users you will have signing up.
Efficiency is also money saved.

All of you working on open clipart are doing a great job.  This means
that as more people get to know more about you you can expect your
traffic to start going up.

Just to let you know, I've also just signed on with OpenOffice.  If
there are two projects which are completely complementary, it is Open
Clip Art and OpenOffice.  I recommended to the mailing list I'm on with
OpenOffice that they develop svg compatibility in OpenOffice just so the
user base of both will be broadened.

If I could make a recommendation, if you get more members of this list
on the OpenOffice list as well, the two projects will be able to grow
together and help each other out.  Everyone will benefit.

Alan