[Clipart] Searching and download graphics

John Bintz jcoswell at coswellproductions.org
Wed May 16 04:10:43 PDT 2007

Jon Phillips wrote:
>> With a good analysis of traffic patterns and user preferences, you could
>> determine the best pages to set up as pre-generated on a periodic basis
>> vs. being on-demand, and cut overall server load by double-digit
>> percentages.
>>
>> Get a good DBA to optimize the queries that remain on-demand and
>> optimize the caching of the query results and you might knock that down
>> by another double-digit percentage.
>>

> Yah, we are using phptal as well, which helps...yes, yet again, would
> you like to help us optimize? I can get you started.
One additional optimization that's saved my skin on a very high traffic
PHP-driven site is a PHP opcode cache, like APC
(http://us2.php.net/apc).  Was an opcode cache being used on the old
server and, if not, would you consider running one on the new server?
It makes a heck of a difference when you cut out that PHP compilation
step with every page load.  :)

John