[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 43, Issue 17

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Thu Oct 25 06:36:16 PDT 2007

I think the only really important problems right now are related to
user interface.

1. broken links all over the place
2. no thumbnails - no user-friendly display of the clipart.  Ideally
the display could be much move visual and far less wordy than the
current layout.  In any search the items returned do not show a
thumbnail (even if there is a PNG currently).  You currently get an
entry display that is about 1" x 4-5", depending on your browser,
that is full of words but no image.  You can use the same square
inches to display a 2"x 2" thumbnail that if you clicked on it would
take you to the file's page.  People are here looking for image - not
who did it, when it was uploaded, what it's other tags are.  That's
all secondary and needs to be off the gallery or preview display.

The killer on this seems to be the architecture tied to ccHost which
is designed for a non-visual library (music) when we need a layout
that is strongly visual.  I don't know how much ccHost can be
monkeyed with to display things better.

To me, solving these two coding issues would make the site completely
usable.  It is all it NEEDS.  The rest is optional and additional
features that might never need to be implemented.  Sadly, I can only
off the skills I have - which is not coding.

Just my 2 cents,

John Olsen