[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 43, Issue 17

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Oct 26 15:53:37 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 14:34 -0600, Alan wrote:
> Hi Jon, what do you think?  This is your dreamchild.

All of our dreamchild :)

> I also know you have been heavily involved in cchost.

Used to more...now I'm managing projects for CC and not coding as
much....

> Are you willing to let go of cchost in order to see OpenClipart get into
> the big times?

ccHost is the big times and can handle all this and more, but has lacked
developers...the engine mentioned below is suboptimal...

> They are kind of both your babies, but they seem to be developing
> personalities of their own.
>
> Alan

hahaha...well, we need to massage ccHost still and it is highly
customizable and getting a lot of love by the dev. community...we just
need to do more fixing of bugs and whatnot...I have been moving the last
2-3 weeks, so now am finally settled and have some more time...please,
any and all coders, head over to the #openclipart on irc.freenode.net
and step up to the plate to help fix bugs and add some core
functionality :)

> momo wrote:
> > As John said (and I completely agree with him) the problem is in the fact
> > that CCHOST is concepted as a sharing tool for non-visual content (sounds,
> > texts...) and is not very suited for cliparts.

While original use is music, it is moving towards being more
generic...the engine is beautiful, free software, and has paid
developer(s) working on it...just need some ppl. to step up to the plate
to help out and fix things. Changing to another engine would be the
death of this project.

> One of the most successful
> > (from my point of view) engines is the (proprietary) one that is used in
> > www.sxc.hu. It has everything a clipart sharing website needs:
> >
> > * a search engine that searches among tags (keywords), title and
> > description. CCHOST search engine searches among everything but tags. The
> > tag cloud page is a usability disaster, I can imagine the fear that
> > experiment the common user when seeing it for the first (and sometimes last)
> > time
> >
> > * a visual browser (you actually see the results and browse them)
> >
> > * a commenting and rating system
> >
> > In CCHOST based OCAL, we lack everything apart the commenting system and the
> > rating (broken) system.
> > So serious layout changes are needed so the common visitor won't get lost
> > from the homepage.
> >
> > Molumen

Agree, but adding is not difficult, just takes time and ppl. and
changing is not best course IMO...rather, each one of us looking at
stepping up our game and trying to fix...what we can, make notes on what
should be fixed on the bugtracker if you can't fix it...each of us has
to step it up! Me included!!!

Jon

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.