[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 18

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Tue Sep 18 09:05:27 PDT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:45:51 +1000
> From: "Adam Pearson" <munmorah at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Clipart] downloading with firefox
> To: Clipart <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
>
> Is it just me or is it not possible to download svg images with
> Firefox except by a roundabout way, and not possible to download other
> formats at all?
>
> Firefox can be made to save a svg file as a page.  All you can do with
> other formats is save as a htm file.
>
> Is this me being an idiot again?

This seems to be platform specific - Firefox on my Mac gave me these
options for your PNG: Save to desktop, save as, Save to iPhoto and
Save as Desktop picture.

http://openclipart.org/media/files/jilagan/4491 is an oddity.
Sometimes I get the same options as your PNG.  Sometimes I get these:
Save Image as, Send Image (just a link) and Set as Desktop
Background.  Note the different terms.  These are obviously two
different lists this is being drawn from - one system, one browser?

As an aside I notice that your PNG is probably generated out of
Inkscape with it's built in transparency or alpha channel - those do
not render as thumbnails.  But http://openclipart.org/media/files/
jilagan/4491 does render as a thumbnail and has no transparency.
Jilagan had originally used Inkscape for the PNG and posed a question
as to why it did not render as a thumbnail.  On a hunch I suggested
that the transparency might be the issue and it seems to be.

For the SVGs I get save image and save link options.

Maybe these are OS functions and not browser functions, but I am
quickly getting out of my area of expertise.  All I know is that
using Firefox with Mac OS 10.4.10 I get more options than you are
getting and they seem to do what one would expect.

John