[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 18

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Wed Sep 19 01:56:08 PDT 2007

Frederik Elwert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 19.09.2007, 09:37 +0300 schrieb Nicu Buculei:
>> The trick is: you have to put the PNG first and the SVG second in order
>> to have the PNG shown as thumbnail. If they are not in that order, use
>> "Manage Files" and "Up"/"Down"
>
> While this works for now, I think it's not the best option. The PNG

Agreed, in a perfect world *I*, as a content contributor, should not
worry about thumbnail file types, size or quality, just upload the SVG.
But we are not in a perfect world...

> files are *not* scalable, so one either has to export the PNG files with
> the dimensions used by OCAL for thumbnails, or to rely on the resizing
> capabilities of the browser, which are very different in quality.
>
> In principal, SVG (as it's scalable) should be the better option for
> thumbnails. But practically this brings some problems: Not all browsers
> support the required SVG features (SVG filters in Firefox 2.x), and the

Here is the biggest problem: for complex images the PNG thumbnail is
often smaller in size than the SVG source, so for the best browsing
experience (quick page load) PNG is the best options.

> inkscape generated files lack some web-specific features (esp. viewBox
> and no fixed width/height).

I believe this is mostly caused  by the image authors.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/