[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 18

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Wed Sep 19 03:26:21 PDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 19.09.2007, 11:56 +0300 schrieb Nicu Buculei:
> Frederik Elwert wrote:
> > In principal, SVG (as it's scalable) should be the better option for
> > thumbnails. But practically this brings some problems: Not all browsers
> > support the required SVG features (SVG filters in Firefox 2.x), and the
>
> Here is the biggest problem: for complex images the PNG thumbnail is
> often smaller in size than the SVG source, so for the best browsing
> experience (quick page load) PNG is the best options.

But this applies only to PNGs in thumbnail size. Actually, we have quite
often the situation that a full-sized PNG export is uploaded, which
might even be larger than the SVG. (Take
http://openclipart.org/media/files/shokunin/4492 as an example: SVG 8KB,
PNG 50KB.)

So when PNG is used as thumbnail, it should have a height of 128px, so
the filesize actually is small and no client-side resizing is required.

> > inkscape generated files lack some web-specific features (esp. viewBox
> > and no fixed width/height).
>
> I believe this is mostly caused  by the image authors.

I don't. As far as I know, Inkscape automatically adds fixed dimensions
to new documents, and doesn't add a viewBox. This makes the images not
fit to the limited space of a thumbnail, but keep its original size. I
don't know a way to "web-optimize" an image through the GUI, so authors
would have to add the XML tree by adding a viewBox and removing the
fixed dimensions. I don't think this is the authors task.

Cheers,
Frederik