[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] interested in purchasing textlink advertising

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Sep 23 12:22:07 PDT 2007

Yeah, that is no good...we could consider some type of adverts in the
future if interested in raising money, but could make a lot more than
that...anyway, would that taint our image?

Wikipedia could raise millions to support all kinds of projects, but
resist on trust/reputation reasons...what about us?

Jon

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 23:18 -0700, Greg Bulmash wrote:
> I didn't reply to the first contact and he followed up.  When I
> responded he offered me $200 to put 1 paragraph of text on three
> different pages of my blog.
>
> This was not random spam.  It's targeted grey-hat SEO.  OCAL's homepage
> has a Google pagerank of 7 and thousands of backlinks.  If it linked out
> to their SEO clients with the right keywords in the links, that could be
> worth a lot of money.
>
> They're not trying to sell OCAL anything.  They're trying to buy
> something... a bit of OCAL's reputation.
>
> And the whole "reply to a spammer and validate your e-mail address"
> thing is so 1999.  Botnet masters have made spamming so cheap, no one
> cares about address quality anymore.
>
> - Greg
>

> Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Greg Bulmash wrote:
> >> I got an e-mail with this exact wording, but from a guy.  The offer he
> >> made was lowball, insulting, and would involve me in a grey-hat SEO
> >> scheme that could potentially end in negative repercussions for my
> >> site's Google ranking.
> >>
> >> I told the guy only an idiot would actually accept his offer.
> >
> > It seems you made the mistake to reply to a spammer, thus validating
> > your email address and making you (and probably this list) a sure target
> > for future spam.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.