[Clipart] were there any really great reasons for PD at openclipart?

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Tue Aug 19 22:52:42 PDT 2008

Greg Bulmash wrote:
> After reading Jon's reply, I'm not sure that enforcement is really an
> issue.  You don't have to enforce a non-PD license.  The author does.

Yeah, but that is shifting the responsibility on author's shoulders.

> CC mixter allows various licenses, so does Wikimedia Commons.  What I
> find frustrating about both is that you can't limit your search by
> license, so you end up finding something you really like only to scroll
> down and find out the license isn't good for your intended use.

Very frustrating, indeed (and I think this is a flaw in CC licensing).

> On the other hand, you have to consider that a wider variety of licenses
> opens you up to a wider variety of contributors, and not every consumer
> of free content needs it to be PD.

But like any other project, we serve our niche: people who need PD.

> The thing with PD is that it's drastically simple for users... no
> licensing restrictions, no credit required, just use it and be happy.
> It's the most end-user friendly option available.

And user friendliness was, IIRC, the main argument for going with PD.

> But a lot of creators of free content need *something* in return, even
> if they don't get money.  With CC-By, the end user has to credit the
> creator, so they get that benefit.  With PD, all the creator is
> guaranteed is a warm fuzzy feeling for having done something good.

 From my experience, our "less than perfect" website interface is the
main reason for keeping the number of contributions down, not the PD
license.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/