[Clipart] were there any really great reasons for PD at openclipart?

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Wed Aug 20 00:25:06 PDT 2008

Greg Bulmash wrote:
> There have been works I considered donating and then didn't because I
> feel a little too personally attached to them and want credit for them
> when they're displayed.  For example, my suicidal giraffe was drawn in
> Inkscape, but it's something where I want credit, so no PD.
>
> http://www.brainhandles.com/2008/07/14/suicidal-giraffe-cartoon/

But see, that is not *clipart*, is a cartoon, a complete composition
including some witty text (nice one, BTW).

It would be clipart if you would have submitted only the giraffe (no
tree, no rope, no text balloon) and I believe you would be more
comfortable with PD for that.

> There are others which I paid other artists to draw and which I believe
> have commercial value.  It'll be years before I relinquish them to the
> public domain.

Sure, we don't want to force anybody. People are free to contribute what
and when they like. I also create a lot of stuff with other licenses and
publish it on other locations.

> On the other hand, CC licensing them with non-commercial and attribution
> properties could be good promo to help me get some valuable backlinks in
> the neverending SEO wars.

But CC-NC is *not free*, which is against the goals of this library.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/