[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] clker.com - part 3

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Wed Feb 6 00:45:39 PST 2008

worms invasion wrote:
> --- Excerpt ---
> Even though users are not required to provide
> attribution, Open Clip Art Library strives to keep
> track of the submitter information. There are several
> reasons for this:
>
>    1. First, we want to ensure that there is a place
> where the author's name is displayed, so they get
> credit for their work and can be contacted in case of
> questions.
>    2. Second, we feel it is more legally clear if
> there is traceability of the authorship back to the
> artist, so any questions of legality can go to them.
>    3. And third, we want to ensure a way that fans of
> an artist's work can find other art they have
> contributed.
>
> ---
>
> Obviously, clker fails on all of the above - having

Yes, clker fails on all of the above *but*:

1. when accepting PD the authors waived this requirements. We display
the names at OCAL because we are "good guys" and we cherish the
community. But legally, we can't bind others to do so.

2. is mostly to cover our asses. If another site is willing to deal with
the legalese on their own, they are free doing so. For example we have
some images tagged as "may be a PD Issue", if a 3-rd party i sclaiming
those images as PD, this is their responsibility.

3. This is again our "feature" with the potential to give some
competitive advantage to our frontend (to bad it suck in many other ways).

> the author name in the SVG source is not enough. For

Is more than enough in fulfilling the PD requirements. If we used
CC-BY-SA or GPL it would be another story, but we choosed PD.

> As an occasional contributor to OCAL, I reckon that
> there is no way to track back to the author of the
> artwork.

But you waived that by accepting PD.

> Besides, GPL is only meaningful in some countries,
> etc.

This is backward, GPL is meaningful everywhere copyright in meaningful
(I believe everywhere) but PD is not meaningful some countries.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/