[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 47, Issue 12

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 06:36:37 PST 2008

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu,  7 Feb 2008 14:49:46 +0000 (UTC)
> From: noreply at openclipart.org
> Subject: [Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Please add Thumbnails
> To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
>

> OpenClipArt.org is a great resource. Thank you for setting it up.
> I have a feature request: Please add thumbnails to the site! It
> would make browsing 100 times easier.
> All the best,
> - Daniel

already on the list.  if you know any good PHP hackers send them our
way.  In the mean time I am going to repost something by Frederik
offering a short-term solution using greasemonkey.  So if you are
familiar with and have Greasmonkey installed you can have previews now
on your browser:

Hey!

Everybody is frustrated because of the missing thumbnail preview. So I
just decided to go for it. I wrote a new Greasemonkey/UserScript that
shows thumbnails on the gallery.

See a screenshot, if you want:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~felwert/blog/downloads/OCAL-Gallery.png

To speed up the creation of the script, I used the jQuery Library, so
you need to install it as a UserScript, e.g. from here:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~felwert/blog/downloads/jquery.user.js

Now here's a first version of the script:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~felwert/blog/downloads/openclipart-gallery.user.js

For the SVG scaling part, I just copied the code from my old thumbnail
script.

There are still a few problems with the script:
       * Quite large downloads. Since it just takes what it gets, it
         downloads the full clipart, if the authors don't provide a
         thumbnail.
       * Firefox may crash. This is of course is not very nice. I
         actually don't know where the problem is, it doesn't occur with
         all cliparts, but it does occur on the current general
"clipart"
         section. If anyone with more Firefox expertise can fix this,
I'd
         be glad.
     On the other hand, I haven't had any problems using Opera.

I know that you people want a clean solution, and not a dirty JavaScript
hack. But at least I have working thumbnails now. So maybe somebody
finds this useful. Feel free to improve it!

Cheers,
Frederik