[Clipart] Publish Book?

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 02:03:11 PDT 2008

Dover and other publishers of clip-art books have a history of
collecting copyright-free works and then trying to lock them up with
copyright through sui generis and claiming that their scanning and
clean-up of the works prior to publication constitute the creation of a
new copyrightable work.

Usually their deal is that if you use more than 10 images from one of
their books in a project, you're violating their copyright on the
collection (sui generis - the same way they copyright databases of
uncopyrightable facts).

I'd stay away from Dover.  They serve a purpose and fill a need, but
their philosophies aren't in line with the OCAL's.