[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Some questions about SVG

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Sun Mar 2 23:57:00 PST 2008

noreply at openclipart.org wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I have recently joined the Open Clip Art community and I try to bring some vector drawings from time to time. I have some few questions about the SVG format.
>
> 1. As a professional designer I use Adobe Illustrator for my vector style drawings. I would like to make the SVG that I export for this site as good as possible, but sometimes I don't know which features can be used or not. I guess that some very specific Adobe features like gradient mesh or filters cannot be used in SVG. But I may use transparency or blur or shadow effect if I'm sure it can be compatible for SVG user.
> I have checked the web to get some info about the SVG features not supported and I found these : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Unsupported_SVG_Features
> Do you have any other reference ?

I am not an Illustrator user, but in my understanding, for some
unsupported features (and this goes both way: Illustrator features not
supported by SVG but also SVG features not implemented by Illustrator),
it will create them as embedded bitmaps.

I do not know about a such a table of Illustrator features not supported
by the SVG standard, but I think it would be useful.

In my experience, the SVG files produced by Illustrator are quite bad:
they are bloated, will contain a lot of useless junk in "<i:pgf>" chunks
which have to be cleaned manually (think 2MB versus 20KB).

> 2. I cannot have access to the "requests" page of this website.
> Is there another way to know which clipart people would like to be drawn ?

Indeed, it is broken for me too.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/