[Clipart] Then what are the legal problems of CC-PD with regards to OCAL?

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 01:09:58 PDT 2009

The use of CC0 isn't a big deal for me as PD/CC0 are pretty much the
same in the U.S. in terms of rights surrendered with the dedication,
AFAIK.  It's outside the U.S. where CC0 seems to provide more protection
to the end-users.

My problem is that in such a case, you then fork the library with some
items being PD and some being CC0 and create confusion for users in the
countries where the difference between the two matters.

But you cannot just convert all the older works from PD to CC0 because
those new rights that CC0 covers were not explicitly given up in the PD
dedication and they cannot legally be presumed to be given up.  If they
could, then CC0 wouldn't be needed.  All the authors of the PD works
would need to explicitly rededicate them to CC0.

This could possibly be set up with a simple click-wrapper on a jump page
that each author is shown the next time they login to OCAL.  But you'd
have to track which works have which licensing and the conversion of
older works (especially the unported works from the previous
incarnation) to CC0 would be a long and gradual process.

What I'm not clear on is which countries have the additional rights that
CC0 covers and how much of a real problem the difference between PD and
CC0 was causing.  I mean did the need arise after people were getting
sued, arrested, and receiving nasty C&D letters, or was it someone
thinking "this *could* eventually be a problem, so let's throw resources
at it now"?

- Greg