[Clipart] symbols banned in cerain countries

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Fri Mar 20 00:36:41 PDT 2009

Jochen Stärk wrote:

> besides, what do you think of cliparts being banned in some countries?
> please don't laugh (it's embarrassing but) in germany the swatistika is
> literally banned...
>
> see /Anonymous/Anonymous_nazi_historic_flag.svg
>
> there's also computer games like castle of wolfenstein which have not a
> single swastika in the german edition (replaced by different symbols).

This issue was raised since the early days of the project and we stood
firmly against censorship and refused to delete images on such basis.
The answer was: filter, not delete. Images like this are supposed to be
tagged and those not interested can avoid them (but at the time our main
delivery mechanism was tarballs, so we expected packagers to keep out
what they do not like).

I for one am against censorship just as much as then, for example I am
an atheist, but I would strongly oppose the removal of crosses or other
religious symbols, I am ashamed by the communist past of my country
(which I had to endure a good part of my life), but I would oppose the
removal of communist symbols, they have historic value.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/