[Clipart] Karen's Whimsey

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Tue Mar 24 03:04:26 PDT 2009

I noticed this too, a while ago.

I think it’s a bit silly that people impose these sort of restrictions
with quasi-legalities
While they could just state something like, I took a lot of effort,
please consider a donation if you use them commercially, or something.

With regards to the restrictions, they do hold legally, but only when
you find the files on her site.
Then she indeed still is the owner.
But since they are faithful reproductions of work which in itself is
out of copyright, she can assert no other rights than owning them.

So theoretically she could do whatever she wants to limit people’s
access to the files, even charge them.
But because the files are digital, at the moment they are transferred
to another computer, Karen does not own them any more— the new owner
can do whatever he likes with them. Like uploading it to wikipedia,
OCAL, whatever.

I don’t know how this is in the US, but in the EU she would still have
her database rights however, meaning that you can’t just go and clone
the collection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_right
I personally think that is a pretty smart legal tool: it promotes the
flow of information while preventing the data harvesting institutions
fear to happen.

These thinks work exactly the same, legally, with musea, libraries
etc., and anyone providing access to public domain materials.

Not a lot of people know about the implications of copyright law here,
because it is in the interest of for example cultural institutions to
make people believe that they are in somehow paying the authors by
paying money to the institutions. But paying for o.o.c. pictures has
nothing to do with royalties, only with ownership.

In Holland this even goes so far as that instutitions say (c)
Copyright ThisThat Museum,
while they in fact have no copyright at all.
But they can do that because the English word copyright is not a legal
term in Dutch (that is: ‘Auteursrecht’, right of the author)

I wish I could link to the stuff I have been reading about this, but
it is all in Dutch.

Have discussions about this already come up on this mailing list?

Eric

Op 24 mrt 2009, om 09:46 heeft Greg Bulmash het volgende geschreven: