[Clipart] Thoughts 'bout translation of main pages

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Wed Mar 25 00:43:23 PDT 2009

Oleg Koptev wrote:
  > I want to help OCAL within my powers. My question is — do you have
> plans 'bout localisation of main pages of openclipart.org? I think
> that effort could be extremely useful for not-english-speak people.
> And with large open-source community this could be done in very short
> times. For example at Launchpad's Rosetta project
> (translations.launchpad.net).
>
> What do you think?

Yes, this option was considered but nut pursued probably due to the lack
of translators. ccHost, the software we are using for the website allows
translations.

In the administration interface we have the possibility to set the
language (now is en_US but we have a list of options) and also the
option "Allow User to Set Language" which comes with a warning "This
feature is  EXPERIMENTAL and should not be used in production
installation. It is here for development purposes only" - but note that
we are not up to the latest version of ccHost.

So for a translated interface probably the best thing is to contribute a
translation upstream at ccHost.

However, I have no idea how a translated interface would deal with news
items on the front page, clipart descriptions and so on.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/