[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 60, Issue 63

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Tue Mar 31 07:31:44 PDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 12:55 AM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org
wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:23:55 +1300
> From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Clipart] Files that might need some admin attention.
> To: Open Clip Art Library list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
>
> Hi all
>
> I've been working on the Clip-art requests, I have some feedback and
> questions as a result.
>
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/pageslovingingdaycare/11985
> This file seems suspect. It's a zip file with "stuff" in it. I have
> no idea
> why they have used the requests form, no idea why they are using
> OCAL for
> this, and there is also no description as to what is required. The
> thumbnail
> inside is too small and rubbishy to be useful. If the zip is to be
> used as a
> request for someone to make a logo for them then, they need to be
> aware that
> they cannot copyright said fulfilment. In other words they will not
> be able
> to get a copyrightable logo made for them via OCAL. I also dont
> think we
> should be hosting such files. I suggest deleting this request with a
> message
> to them asking them to clarify what they want, also directing them
> to a
> graphic designer if they want a copyright-able logo/trademark.

Chovynz, my manic friend, I would not assume in any way that a lot of
the files that ended up in "requests" are real requests.  This has
also been a trash bin for otherwise unexplainable uploads.  IMO, those
librarians are too nice.   I would have chucked a number of them as
spam, fishing or kids screwing around.

> *Fulfilled in some way:*
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/Mikecamdy/10076
> He's happy, the request is fulfilled - as seen in the reviews. What
> should
> the response be now? Ask him to change the tags and take off
> request, need,
> idea, media? Is he capable of doing so?
>
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/purba/10938
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/Epsilon60198/7642
> *both fulfilled here: http://openclipart.org/media/files/boobaloo/
> 11942
>

> *No responses (but contacted or reviewed):*
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/marzguitarz/11060
> I made some for him. Not sure what to do next.
>
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/jolenebarley1337/9995
> Not enough information to fulfil request, also no response
>
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/angiea/6817
> No response to Papapishu's review a year ago.
>
> *Error messages:*
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/joe10f/10403
> "This upload is not currently available for viewing"
>
> *Duplicate request:*
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/clickteam/6745
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/clickteam/6746
>
> *Questions*:
> Going through this process something has struck me. What to do with
> fulfilled requests? remove request tag is obvious, but do we delete
> png/jpg
> file requests as well, so that they are no longer in the database?
> Are the
> people who made the requests able to change the "request" tag or is
> that an
> admin/librarian job?

there is an admin tag called "requested_completed" but that does not
remove it from the requests page, just tags it as completed.

> Need more intuitive linking - "remixes" are not intiutive as
> "fulfilment" or
> "solution". What to do with un-responded pictures and entries after
> some
> time? Some of these requests have been in there for years.

in the grand scheme of things how much room are they taking up?

> Maybe the requests page need an explanation about what a request
> requires -
> to be more likely to be fulfilled. Perhaps just a requests page
> paragraph
> that explains what the request page/form is for, how to file a
> request (as
> much description as possible and an example image if necessary/would
> help),
> what fileformats are required for a request (as in - I think files
> marked as
> request, should probably be allowed to be jpg, png, other formats.)
> Also
> what to do when it's fulfilled? Responsibility to change tags, or
> fulfilled is on the original person making the request or site
> admins (-not
> my preference as admins have too much to do already. I'd rather
> people were
> responsilbe for their own requests. But admins have right of removal
> or
> something.)

I'm sure they would change their tags just like everyone rushed to
move their files to the new server.  People's loyalty to one site in
the big Internet world is pretty thin.  Most people pass through here
for short periods and may not come back or may only remember us after
long absences.  Of course we want people to remember and use us all
the time, but reality is that there are many things to do in this world.

We can certainly make it clearer as to what a request should be, but
most of those requests were moved there by librarians I think.  Also
people are not so good at following instructions as the list of files
needing clean up will attest to.

You seem to seek orderliness and control in an environment that is
inherently chaotic.  The open nature of this project is its strength
but that allows anyone to do unpredictable, unhelpful and random
things here.    Perhaps if we can remove the humans from the equation
things will run smoother.

Johnny