[Clipart] BETA OCAL Help Out page changes + navigation ideas

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:46:07 PDT 2009

Forums:
Haha. Jon has spoken.
Ok I trust him on having no forums. In a way this mailing list is like a
forum but has better communication. I know I'm not used to the mailing list,
but I've become used to them. At first I treated this list as a forum, and I
think I pissed some people off earlier. Sorry about that. :)
In any case, I'll drop the forums subject for now, but it'll stay in the
back of my head. I'll talk again to Jon in the future about them If I can
find a good alternative communication mode that he's happy with.

Nav Structure + help pages
Ok Michi, I'll draft them up and give them to you. My idea for the submenus
was to have links in the help box on the right-side. I prefer hard links to
drop down menus (any form of css or JS.) Let's have a good look at where
these buttons can go. NOT-normal buttons on the sidebar sounds good, but a
text link would do just as well... maybe...

The Volunteer?/Teamwork? page is coming along. I'll have that to you
shortly. I know I've been saying it lots lately but it's true :) You'll get
it.

The "Help" page is also being worked on...and "About" all at the same time
:D:D

Have a good weekend folks! I've got my Airforce test today. I haven't been
able to sleep since 3am this morning im so excited.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:

> No forums. forums are the death of many a community...we are doing
> well keeping on this and no reason to break it. I can rant onwards
> about why forums are not good, but I will just say, trust me.
>
> Better to keep communications together now on this list rather than
> break apart into a lot of pieces on a forum.
>
> Jon
>
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Greg Bulmash
> <oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Aaron Bowler wrote:
> >> Do you think "Volunteer" is a bit hash -- "Help Us" and a roll over of
> >> "Would you like to help the site?" would be a little less formal.
> >
> > For the sake of usability, you don't want to mix the meanings of "Help".
> >
> > Adrian's suggestion of "Get Involved" is a better substitute for
> > "Volunteer," though Oleg made a good point that "Volunteer" keeps a
> > consistency of one-word labels.  If you're going to get away from
> > one-word-labels, "Join The Team" would work as well.
> >
> >> p.s Would it ever be possible to have a forum installed on the site? --
> >> phpbb is free -- and it keeps everything together, and would be much
> >> easier for newbies like me. I've no experiance in using wikis and this
> >> email service, i think i've missed a lot going into my junk mail :-(
> >
> > My main experience with PHPBB has been as an attack vector through which
> > friends' servers/sites were hacked.  Adding PHPBB means someone has to
> > not only install it, but be in charge of keeping it updated and patched
> > as security holes emerge.  As those holes emerge, hackbots start probing
> > the net for them.  You can be hacked faster than you think.
> >
> > Nothing personal, but considering PHPBB's history combined with the fact
> > that whomever volunteers to install and patch PHPBB now might be too
> > busy to keep up with it a few months from now, I think installing PHPBB
> > is too risky.
> >
> > Once again, have to agree with Adrian here.  Letting an outside service
> > provider administer a web interface to the list is a better option.
> >
> > - Greg

> --
> Jon Phillips
> http://rejon.org/