[Clipart] metadata for cliparts

Adrian Sutton adrian at symphonious.net
Fri May 22 13:13:55 PDT 2009

On 22 May 2009, at 21:07, chovynz wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to understand more about metadata. Some of you guys have
> been talking about it as if it's the holy grail.
> For me, metadata is hidden information - I don't like hidden info.
> That's about all I know. Never used it, never needed to - that I
> know of.
>
> What is metadata? Why is it so important - especially to clipart?
> Got any links or info I can read? Yes I know I can google/wiki, but
> that often doesn't explain things, that a live human can.

Hey Chovynz,
I can't speak for the others, but the key thing about metadata in my
mind, isn't the hidden info.  Rather, it's the tags, keywords, names
and descriptions on the clipart.  In other words, all the text that
helps to describe the image and make it searchable.

Information about the author, ratings, related versions/mashups are
also handy from an information and credit perspective, but none are as
important as the descriptive text info in my mind.

Cheers,

Adrian.