[Clipart] Kamsart

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:03:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Slow down a little. I don't believe it is kamsart that is at fault; if you
> research up on George Riddick he's been doing this threatening for years
> from all sorts of sites.

Yes, but he does own the copyright on ~15,000 pieces of clipart that
basically escaped into the wild in the 90s. He got a $2.6 million
arbitration judgement against IMSI in 2000 for infringement.

In the past year since the PRO-IP act passed, Riddick has filed 10 or
more federal lawsuits for copyright infringement. He identified over
300 separate images from my site in his suit against me and Zazzle,
and almost all of them came from Kamsart.

I've tried to contact the owner of Kamsart about this and received no reply.

> The only reasons I removed kamsart from the wiki is
> "potential" clipart copyright infringement, and because Greg asked long ago
> and it was never completed. It's better to have them off the acquisition
> list than to confuse other users, by keeping it on.

As long as it's off.

> I did start a blacklist on the clipart acquisition page. No reason given
> other than "don't use".
> http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/Clipart_Acquisition#Black_Listed
>
> I have listed them in the blacklist for the reasons listed above, not due to
> that I think Kamsart OR Karamveer Singh has done anything wrong. I don't
> consider them spammers, nor do I consider them having set Greg up.

They may have actually thought the art was PD, but they've been
informed otherwise, and to my knowledge, they have never done anything
about it or followed up.