[Clipart] stuff done today / gender

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Aug 9 03:34:27 PDT 2010

Eric Schrijver <eric at authoritism.net> writes:

> Maybe you could make it a radio button with two choices,
> without necessarily having to select either of them,
> making it essentially three choices.

Radio buttons don't work that way (not on the web, at any rate).

> Also, I think the politically correct term would be 'gender' instead of
> 'sex'

In this context, where the choices are "male" and "female", the words
are synonyms.  The real advantage of the word "gender" is that it
doesn't have the secondary meaning of sexual activity and therefore is
slightly less likely to make severely immature people chortle in
amusement.  The disadvantage is that it's a "big word" -- children
usually don't know what the word "gender" means -- although if the
choices are "male" and "female" one supposes they can figure it out.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  Like I said, they're
synonyms.  Either word is fine with me.