[Clipart] missing 'Statement'

clipart at sacredsoundsystems.com clipart at sacredsoundsystems.com
Mon Dec 6 05:22:28 PST 2010

Hi list,

I'm currently auditing my company's media asset copyright documentation,
and am writing to inquire as to where I can obtain a copy of
Openclipart.org's copyright notice.

So far I've located conflicting statements on www.openclipart.org.

At this address:
http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/About

The copyright statement reads as follows:
"All graphics submitted to the project are in the Public Domain
according to the statement by the Creative Commons."

The text 'Public Domain' links to this address:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

Which states in part:
"Creative Commons has retired this legal tool and does not recommend
that it be applied to works."

And goes on in further detail to state:
"A certifier has taken reasonable steps to verify the copyright status
of this work."

However this page does not define the term 'reasonable steps', and fails
to link to any legal documentation to that effect.

Of course this is a publicly-editable wiki, and as far as I'm aware no
legal precident exists which would allow for it's content to provide any
expectation of validity in a court of law on any continent. And as such
further investigation along this vector is rendered moot.

The next Openclipart publication addressing the subject of blanket
copyright, as per the official website's 'About' tab, at this address:
http://www.openclipart.org/about

Which states:
"All graphics submitted to the project should be placed into the Public
Domain according to the statement by the Creative Commons."

In this case the text 'Public Domain' links to this address:
http://creativecommons.org/license/publicdomain-2?lang=en

Which is the same 'retired legal tool' (as defined by it's publishers)
which the wiki links to, albeit via an address 1 link depth away from
this one.

This statement contains a second link in it's text 'Creative Commons'
which sadly, is equally as unhelpful.
It links to the Creative Commons Corporation's homepage by means of a
redirect from here:
http://www.creativecommons.org/

To here:
http://creativecommons.org/

Perhaps worth noting is that these 2 statements appear to identify a
policy of blanket coverage defining all hosted content as being public
domain licensed, with the small exception of the wiki choosing the word
'are' as opposed to the less-than-definitive verbage chosen by the
official Openclipart.org site's version of the same statement and
instead uses the word 'should'.

Also I see that both these statements refer to that which is described
by both as 'the statement by the Creative Commons', yet none of this
text contains a link to said 'statement'.

Of course as luck would have it, this seems it would be the 'statement'
I need for my audit.

If someone would kindly point me toward pertinent, authoritative
documentation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

-C