[Clipart] Logo should be removed.

J. Alves alvesjmp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:21:27 PDT 2010

Hi,

That's a complicated subject. While I think offending people is not
something nice to do (and I can't tell whether the author even knew
what that image was or what it meant; I surely didn't), if every image
that offends someone were to be removed, things would get ugly quite
fast.

So, if the image does not contain copyrighted/trademarked material, it
is acceptable to use in a site like OCAL, or so is my understanding.
Is the Valknot under copyright/trademark? I suspect not, but would be
glad to be corrected. The fact that it might be in bad taste (for some
people) is a different problem altogether, and I don't think that
would qualify it for exclusion.

Other material usually considered "questionable" in certain cultures,
like adult content or violent, gets tagged with NSFW (not safe for
work) so it does not show unless you actively search for it or
something like that. I don't know how a case like this logo's would be
handled. NSFChurches? :-) I actually have some ideas on how to handle
the "filtering problem", and I've been distilling them in my head
before sending them to the list at large. Stay tuned.

By the way, I published a bioinformatics software called ASGARD a few
years ago. Oops, I hope I didn't step on anyones toes there. :-)

Cheers