[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 76, Issue 13

Eric Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Thu Jul 15 00:59:01 PDT 2010

Op woensdag 14-07-2010 om 18:19 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef John
Olsen:
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 5:49 PM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
>

> > Message: 3
> > Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:54:09 +1200
> > From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Clipart] Logo should be removed.
> > To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> >
> > While I sympathise with what you have written, and are feeling about
> > this clipart, when swastikas are put up, we don't remove those. When
> > upside down crosses are put up we don't remove those. If we make an
> > exception for Odinism/?satr? when it offends someone, then we also need
> > to make exceptions when our clipart offends the Christians/Muslims/Hindu
> > faiths/German history as well. This is a black hole that we will never
> > escape from if we start down that road. That's something that has been
> > clear from the beginning, we don't remove clipart based on
> > offensiveness, and so I disagree with the request for removal.
> >
> > I don't really know how to address this issue (since compassion to other
> > people is one of the foundations of good community), yet I also think
> > there is nothing to be done, based on the policies of OCAL and what they
> > have been for a long time.
> >
> > One thing I can suggest is having a function in the user profile
> > settings, a function that excludes displaying user-input tags. So if the
> > clipart is tagged correctly it might be possible to custom-censor your
> > own Library experience. Programmers like Bassel would be able to tell
> > you if this idea is actually possible, but it's one that if it works
> > might address the whole larger issue of offensive cliparts. See here
> > <http://openclipart.org/wiki/File:User-profile-settings.jpg>for example.
> >
> > I hope this helps understanding in some small way.
> >
> > Chovynz
>

> Wow, I've never offended an Odinist before.  In fact, I've never run into an offended Odinist before. Come to think of it, I've never met an Odinsit before.
>
> 1. Are we sure this isn't just trolling?
> 2. Note to self: Add Odinists to those I need to offend
>

> Johnny

Well that’s not very friendly of you Johnny it’s better to suspect good
intentions imho. And needing to offend people? Come on.
That being said, I agree with the fact that one can’t delete this
clipart for the stated reasons.
I do think it would be a valid commentary/critique for the logo: noting
that you are using a symbol that’s holy to some people.
That would be probably be quite a small amount of people, but there
might be more people for which this symbol at least has the connotation
of germanism and/or neo-paganism. Which wouldn’t really fit the
communicative goals of the logo.
It is actually being used as a logo, in which these connotations are
intentional, both for a Swedish salt company and the German football
squad (well, dixit wikipedia, I’m not sure if I believe that since the
Germans tend to be rather careful with national symbols, also since:) It
has been used by Neo-nazis as well.