[Clipart] Public Domain cliparts

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Fri May 7 01:14:51 PDT 2010

In reference to cliparts below. The following is a conversation for keeping.
I'm sending it to the mailing list in case there is any doubt in the future.
I'm also going to remove the pd_issue tag from the cliparts involved.

Cheers
Chovynz

<chovynz>Is someone here an admin for Wesnoth? I'm looking for someone who
can answer an potential copyright infringement
question.<zookeeper<irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>
>go ahead and ask and someone will reply sooner or later<chovynz>I'm a
librarian on the Openclipart.org website. We host Public Domain cliparts for
anyone to use. Awhile ago someone uploaded a character that is described as
a Wesnoth character. I'm checking to see if those cliparts are actually
Public domain or if they are copyrighted in any way. The cliparts can be
found at http://www.openclipart.org/detail/16636,
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/16656,...<chovynz>...and
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/16748<chovynz>They look very similar to
the characters on the wiki already, so I was wondering if we need to do
something about the Openclipart ones.<chovynz>
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesnothFigures#Konrad<zookeeper<irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>
>chovynz, those pictures themselves aren't from wesnoth, and i doubt any of
our art devs or contributors drew them. obviously they're based on the
wesnoth portraits, and especially the delfador one looks like it's just
traced over the original.<chovynz>So does anyone know who drew the
originals?<Vornicus <irc://freenode/Vornicus,isnick>>Wesnoth art is
apparently technically under the GPL; I'm... not entirely certain what that
means for non-code things.<chovynz>Still, GPL isn't PD as far as I'm aware.
If we are unable to get the original authors permission, I think we may have
to remove these cliparts. (which is a real shame because they are
fantastic!)<chovynz>Would there be someone here who can see the history of
that page and let me know who uploaded those
pix?<zookeeper<irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>
>just wait a moment, you'll get an answer of some kind in a bit..<zookeeper<irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>
>chovynz, jetrel is the artist who drew the originals, and he says he
doesn't have a problem with it, so no, you don't have to remove them. those
are notably lower-quality drawings based on the originals anyway, not direct
derivative works IMO<zookeeper <irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>>you can
look at the original konrad and delfador portraits here:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trunk/data/campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/images/portraits/
<zookeeper <irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>>well, actually he linked to
those himself already, it seems...<chovynz>Thank you. You're sure they can
be used with the Public Domain licence? once there that decision is
irreversible. See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/ for more
info.<zookeeper <irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>>i don't think that
distributing those as PD would be in violation of jetrel's copyrights.
sounds like a rather far-fetched idea since as you can see, they're
different drawings, even if based on jetrel's
portraits.<zookeeper<irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>
>and even in the (IMO very unlikely) case that someone could argue that
there's a problem, you can be sure jetrel wouldn't sue anyone over those.<
chovynz>Well I guess we can leave them as is for now. Thanks for your work
in checking for me. <zookeeper <irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>>no problem<
zookeeper <irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>><Jetrel> zookeeper: If it
satisfies anyone, my original konrad/lisar can be public domain. I mean,
fuck it.<zookeeper <irc://freenode/zookeeper,isnick>>i guess that should
make it pretty clear there's no problem ;)<chovynz>lol.