[Clipart] Oodles of broken cliparts

J. Alves alvesjmp at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:20:47 PDT 2010

Hi,

Nearly every time I visit OCAL's front page, I see this problem:
people do not convert the text in their SVG to paths. So, it all shows
as squares in my browser/OS (Firefox/Ubuntu, in this case, but also
happens in other browsers). I don't know how it would look in a system
that has the font that was used, but I'm supposing it looks fine, or
these people would have noticed that squares there instead of the text
they intended.

So, my question/suggestion is: would it be possible for the SVG
processing step that happens during upload to automatically REJECT an
clipart that has unconverted text in it? (and tell the submitter what
the problem was and how to solve it, of course) I don't know much
about SVG, but it does not sound too difficult if certain tags are
present and whatnot...

Or is that too drastic or undesirable for some other reason? Either
way, there must be a way to fix this problem. Just contacting the
author and letting him/her know of the problem after the fact does not
always work -- specially if the comments do not get emailed to the
author, who might never see the comment.

Cheers