[Clipart] File Names

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Thu Sep 16 10:38:17 PDT 2010

"St.Clair, David" <stclaird at uk.innovation-group.com> writes:

> I have noticed that sometimes that when my files are uploaded they
> retain their original filename.  And sometimes they don't and are
> given a system assigned filename.
>
> See here:
>
> As uploaded original filename
>
> http://www.openclipart.org/people/wildchief/pigeon.svg
>
> Not as uploaded filename
>
> http://www.openclipart.org/people/wildchief/1280086312.svg

What _was_ the original filename in the case where it got changed?

I don't happen to know exactly what circumstances will trigger OCAL to
change the filename, but obviously there would be some filenames that
would have to be changed.  Was it already in use for another file?
Did it contain special characters (grouping symbols, question marks,
asterisks, number signs, spaces, tabs, newlines, ampersands, slashes,
backslashes, etc.)?

The other question is, did you upload using the same version of the
same browser on the same OS, with the same security and privacy
settings?  It is possible some browsers might not disclose the
original filename.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library