[Clipart] Where can I share my portraits?

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:53:50 PST 2011

Hi Andrius,

If you bring a png/jpg/tiff/giff into inkscape and save it as a svg,
what it does is embed the "bitmap picture". That is not a true svg,
it's a "jpg" with an .svg extension. Those ".svg" files we can't
accept.

If you bring an image into inkscape and trace over it with paths and
pens, or convert it using autotrace, so that you can select and modify
any colour/path on the drawing, then delete the actual image itself
and you can still see what the image was (in paths or vector form),
and save as .svg, that is a true svg. The paths need to be modifiable.
A picture is not.

(SVG stands for scalable vector graphics)

Hope this helps explain somewhat.

Cheers
Chovynz