[Clipart] Report of Trademark Infringement

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:00:14 PDT 2011

Their initial application was 2005, but I've seen John's chef on the
side of a building (in an ad for the restaurant in the building)
almost 10 years ago. It seems like something out of a Dover book.
Theirs on the other hand is shaded, colored...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Podravka_Vegeta.jpg
(larger size)

OTOH, if you check the USPTO site, they have an old registration that
seems to have the chef in it from 1974, and their Wikipedia page says
they launched the Vegeta brand (which is the brand that uses the chef)
in 1959.

They admit that their chef and John's chef are similar, but not the
same. But one is based on the other or they're both based on the same
third image, because the similarities are remarkable. They have to be
aggressive about defending their trademark against possible confusion,
so such a similar image is a necessary target. But if it turns out
this *is* PD and predates their logo... The question seems to be whose
chef came first.

- Greg