[Clipart] openclipart 3.2, bugs, features and changelogs

Jakub Jankiewicz jcubic at onet.pl
Wed Mar 14 16:49:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 04:42:25 +0530
shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > work.
> >
> > And generally there is more focus on the site and creating of
> > packages was dropped.
>
> ok.
>

> >> Finally though, there was a release today in Debian and came to
> >> know you guys are still good and around :)
> >
> > I didn't know about Debian packages don't know which version of
> > ocal it use, if they download all new clipart or what.
> >

> >> $ aptitude show openclipart-png
> >> Package: openclipart-png
> >> State: installed
> >> Automatically installed: yes
> >> Version: 2.0-1
> >> The Open Clip Art Library is a collection of 100% license-free,
> >> royalty-free, and restriction-free art that you can use for any
> >> purpose.
> >>
> >>  This package contains the images in Portable Network Graphics
> >> (PNG) format. Homepage: http://www.openclipart.org
> >
> > Shit, another www site, we need to get rid of this url, the proper
> > url is http://openclipart.org
> >

> >> Tags: made-of::icons, role::app-data
> >>
> >> $ aptitude show openclipart-png=0.18+dfsg-12
> >> Package: openclipart-png
> >> State: not installed
> >> Automatically installed: yes
> >> Version: 0.18+dfsg-12
> >>  The Open Clip Art Library is a collection of 100% license-free,
> >> royalty-free, and restriction-free art that you can use for any
> >> purpose.
> >>
> >> This package contains the images in Portable Network Graphics (PNG)
> >> format. Homepage: http://www.openclipart.org
> >>
> >> Tags: made-of::icons, role::app-data
> >>
> >> As can be seen the packages have tripled in size and there I see a
> >> problem. There is no way for a user as far I can tell to know which
> >> images are new and which images are from the previous release.
> >
> > this is not the OCAL problem but debian package that use clipart
> > from OCAL one if you want to know which one is new create a program
> > that will show new clipart
> >

> Ok, then please pray tell me who is responsible for these two links :-
>
> ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/openclipart/downloads/
>
> and
>
> http://openclipart.org/downloads/2.0/openclipart-2.0-full.zip
>
> http://openclipart.org/downloads/0.19/openclipart-0.19.zip
>
> This is from where the Debian maintainer just copied the archive. They
> don't add anything to it afaik.
>
> I do see know that rejon did make a changelog ... sigh...
>
> 2009-03-01  Jon Phillips  <jon at rejon.org>
>
>         * *: imported all into packager/trunk in public SVN
> repository.
>         * VERSION: updated version to the latest!
>
> 2005-11-12  Jon Phillips  <jon at rejon.org>
>
>         * openclipart.7.gz: Added man page for the project.
>
>         * VERSION: Updated to 0.18CVS.
>
> I don't think a full-fledged program would have been required. Even if
> a simple diff by using cmptree [1] would have been used and the output
> shared as a listing that would have been enough to know what has been
> added or/and changed in the new collection or/and package .

A now I get it, so they only get gzip package and create deb package.

Then we need packages organized by tags or categories it will be hard to
do but we can do that when we fix tags in database (if you know
something about sql, tags are in one field separated by comma and every
tag should be in one row and there should be 2 more tables for that, so
we can generate proper tag cloud and browse tags) or add categories.

I think that we need packages but Jon (rejon) don't what them, we will
need to convince him that people want it and need it, he want to
people use the site.

> 1. http://drdobbs.com/199103123
>
> >> what I mean is, while OCAL (openclipart library) is and can be used
> >> almost anywhere, MOST (not all) people might use it to spice their
> >> presentations.
> >>
> >> And therein lies number of problems. Now most of them are about a
> >> release around a year or two old so might or might not be relevant.
> >>
> >> a. There is no browser :- While I could use some third-party image
> >> browser like eog or/and something else it is difficult to traverse.
> >> While in the short-term I don't think you guys could afford to
> >> think of some sort of browser or something but maybe something to
> >> think about in the medium term. I am thinking something which is
> >> specific to openclipart and the cliparts within (maybe it could be
> >> used to see comments if you are online or/and give feedback or
> >> something from within the image browser interface without using a
> >> real browser as well as connecting or/and learning something about
> >> the artist as well
> >> - his motivations and contact details perhaps .) Maybe people can
> >> look at opengameart.org and sort of collaborate and see if
> >> something can be spinned, don't know just an idea.
> >
> > if you don't like to use the browser write "ocal image viewer"
> > using our API, I think that inskcape use similar function, you can
> > add detail of the clipart, and proper "traverse".
>
> hmm... not a programmer but definitely can give a shout about that.
>
> > You can also tell that to people that maintain the package. We are
> > not maintainers of the debian and other packages we are working on
> > the site.
>
> True as well. Maybe ask people within the community also. Who knows.
>
> >> b. openclipart-libreoffice :- In fact one of the ways if
> >> openclipart-libreoffice is used then you can watch it within
> >> libreoffice > Tools > Gallery although the gallery itself leaves
> >> much to be desired. The info. about the package shows openclipart
> >> homepage so guess you are the guys maintaining that
> >> extension/add-on for libreoffice. Is there a roadmap for the next
> >> release of the tool, I may have some some ideas or maybe just take
> >> a look at what's cooking.
> >
> > AFAIK OCAL do not work on any packages that use clipart like debian,
> > they are, most likely, created by people that maintain the package.
>
> ok, although I do see that openclipart and libreoffice combo are
> almost on all distributions.
>
> See for instance :-
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=libreoffice-openclipart&srodzaj=3&dist[]=17
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/17689641/dir/mandrake_other/com/libreoffice-openclipart-3.4.5-1-mdv2012.0.i586.rpm.html
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=libreoffice-openclipart&project=LibreOffice%3AUnstable

So one more argument that we need packages. I talk with jon recently
about putting all clipart into a repo that users can checkout and
update so new clipart will show up every day, maybe in the future.

> >> c. Naming :- The biggest problem I found while going through the
> >> collections is the naming, rather than naming the collections from
> >> functional or descriptive point of view they are named
> >> contributor-wise. This is horrible waste of the user's time as he's
> >> not going to crawl through the whole archive to look for an image
> >> which he knows about but cannot find in the current scenario. Maybe
> >> tagging and some sort of interface to search (maybe ties with a.)
> >
> > Do you talk about the site or those packages? Packages are created
> > by people that have nothing to do this OCAL AFAIKT they are normal
> > users, they donwload clipart and create a package.
>
> As said before they just download the package/collection which is
> already there and try to make it easy just so users don't have do it.
>
> All the clipart on my system for e.g. resides on
>
> /usr/share/openclipart/png and this is a listing it is showing
> something like :-
>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-03-14 22:19 00Inkscape
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-03-14 22:19 1in9ui5t
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-03-14 22:19 43ad5web
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-03-14 22:19 aaha
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-03-14 22:19 abadr
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-03-14 22:19 abraxasWD

now I understand your "collections" they are not collections but users
that uploaded the clipart package is simple folder where clipart are
uploaded and for the site they are user based, for other info we have
database.

--
Jakub Jankiewicz
twitter: @jcubic