[Clipart] Some motivation for making openclipart package releases.

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 19:10:44 PDT 2012

in-line :-

2012/3/16 Jon Phillips <jon at fabricatorz.com>:
> Thanks for your post! What about making smaller packaged releases?

Hi Jon,

> The idea wasn't to abandon packages, but allow for people to "collect"
> clipart, and then autogenerate packages.
>
> The size of a package of all clipart was crushing our server resources.

>From what I see now you have access to the Oregaon State University
Open Source Lab.

The other way which you are saying can be done as well, it will
require quite a bit of effort on the distributor's side (I'm talking
about GNU/Linux distributors). While individuals may not have an issue
as they could make a 'collection' and be happy with that, for
distributors they might find it a bit difficult.

As far as hosting or/and mirroring is concerned guess you could give a
shout on the site and possibly you might get free or/and cheap hosting
from people. I do see people talking about free space where they host
their own stuff all the time. How reliable those hosting solutions are
I never asked because I have never needed/wanted it.

I have seen the 'collections' page but figuring it out will be hard as
more content gets added to the 'collection' . For instance you have a
'clothes visualization' collection atm
http://openclipart.org/collection/collection-detail/piskot85/6218 ,
now if somebody gets motivated and makes couple of more or little more
than, would they be part of this collection or a new collection ?

If you want to go the collections way only, then would recommend have
some kind of VCS so people can know what/which images were added to
which collection ? Otherwise people would either not get some images
from collection or possibly have duplicate images which would then
need to go via a deduplication stage to make sure  all the images are
unique before they are added to the archive.

In short, any way I see it, it would add a bit more complexity to the
way things run now.

At the end, its your baby so please do as you feel fit. Also there are
certain assumptions and presumptions I have made, maybe you know some
better way.

Either way it would be nice to hear whichever way you decide to go ahead.

Happy hacking.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल