System D-BUS and $DISPLAY

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 1 14:19:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 08:43, David Zeuthen wrote:
> So, I think maybe it would make sense to be able to ask the system bus
> what session buses are running as well as characteristics of each
> session, e.g. whether they are remote or local and what user is logged
> etc. etc.

Seems like a pretty good idea, I'm not sure we need the session buses to
connect directly to the system bus, instead you could have gnome-session
and equivalents connect to the system bus and provide this info.

> Basically, I guess this is useful for maintaining system-wide policy
> according to preferences specified by user with the current session. The
> thing is, you want to store these preferences in either gconf, Kxconfig
> or whatever session-wide preference system is running.

Dan Williams and Seth Nickell already coded an "ask the session for user
preferences" hack for some network stuff we're doing in the Fedora
Project, not sure how it works.