Tracking whether a connection is alive

Christian Hammond chipx86 at gnupdate.org
Sun Jul 11 15:04:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 11:50:11PM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to determine if another peer on the system bus is
> alive; maybe it's easier if I describe what I want achieve; in HAL, I
> want to implement locking of devices - this is useful for obtaining
> exclusive access to a device, which is quite useful for e.g. CD
> recording [1].

I'm glad you asked this, because I've been trying to figure out how to
do something similar in Galago, and was going to ask the same question
sometime this week. When a client crashes or locks up, I need all the
presence information it contains to be discarded, and right now it
can't do that. I had considered pinging, but it just felt messy, I
guess. A general way of receiving disconnect notifications for peers
would be great.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 at gnupdate.org      <>  http://galago.sourceforge.net/