Tracking whether a connection is alive

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Mon Jul 12 07:02:15 PDT 2004

Hi,

>> I don't think anything can really detect locking up better than the
>> user...
>>

> But many users don't have a clue what to do when they find something
> hanging. And of of course there are many things going on that the user
> doesn't see directly - so has no way of recognizing as hanging.
>
> Ciao, Jörg

What I meant was what Havoc described more clearly, that whatever you do
to catch the situation where an app is hanging will always be
fundamentally flawed. You're better off, therefore, leaving those users
that can to kill the application and those users that are bothered to file
a bug and get the app fixed.

Cheers,
Owen