Components?

Maciej Katafiasz mnews22 at wp.pl
Thu Jul 15 15:40:50 PDT 2004

W liście z czw, 15-07-2004, godz. 15:54, Sean Middleditch pisze:
> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 22:16, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> > Hi,
> > as there was kinda heated up discussion on IRC today, I decided to have
> > myself flamed a bit and bring it up on list. Issue is - can (and more
> > importantly, should) D-BUS be used for components? I believe that answer
> > is "yes", or "almost yes, something similar could do".
>
> As I understand, D-BUS was designed from the ground up to be usable as a
> DCOP replacement, which is the low-level architecture used in KDE's
> KParts component model.  So it should most definitely be usable as the
> low-level transport in an out-of-process component model.  (Remember,
> "component" can be an in-process thing, i.e. basically a shared object
> loader, which then wouldn't need D-BUS for anything.)

AFAIK (I checked that in online docs even ;) KParts are implemented
precisely by using in-process shared objects. Part of my question (which
at this point probably goes to someone actually experienced in that
area) is: does this make any sense to try to preserve the same semantics
for in-process components that out-of-process ones (using DBUS) would
have? Or is it just clear path to creation of another CORBA (*shiver*)?
In any case, it would be always well defined which ones are used at any
given moment, but I'd consider it Good Thing(TM) if API and semantics
could be conceivably made the same.

Cheers,
Maciej

--