unable to start dbus-daemon

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 14:07:19 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 22:57 +0000, Edwin Schepers wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use a newer version of dbus/hal because I want HAL 0.5.0.
> So I removed the installed rpm's of dbus and HAL version 0.4.7 on my FC3.
>
> Then I compiled dbus 0.32 and hal 0.5.0
>
> From documentation, I read that I start dbus with 'dbus-daemon --system'
> When I do this, dbus-daemon is not started. I get no information whatsoever
> about what's wrong. I start it being root.
> The second time, I get the message :
> [root at localhost ~]# dbus-daemon --system
> Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/usr/local/var/run/messagebus.pid"
> exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file
> meaning for me that _something_ has happened.
>
> Am I doing something wrong ?

You need to delete the pid file first.  Basically the daemon crashes and
leave the pid file laying around which makes the next instance of the
bus think there is another bus running.

Next you need to edit your /etc/dbus-1/system.conf and change the
<user>dbus</user>.  I would use 81 since that is what the rpms would
install and 0.32 has the patch added that can read uids in the config
file.  Perhaps we should change the dbus user to be messagebus.  We use
the UID in the config for that ability to change the username and not
break configs.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer