shtoom and dbus

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri May 6 03:25:50 PDT 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 10:41, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm the author of a Python VoIP client (and server) called shtoom. I've
> recently been made aware of dbus, and I thought it'd be good to mention
> here some of the plans I have for using it - see if people have comments
> or suggestions.

dbus supports a system (shared by root and all users) and a session bus (used
by one user only). You may want to give some thought to which bus should be
used for what. When you provide services over the system bus you should be
careful that those services can't be abused for privilege escalation (compare
to running a program suid root).

Cheers,
Waldo