initial support for video devices and printer ports

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Sep 1 11:38:31 PDT 2004

> Kristof Vansant (de_lupus at pandora.be) said:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 00:59, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > > Shouldn't a printer be a subdevice of the "printer_port" and not merged
> > > into it?
> > >
> > It is possible to have a parallel scanner and printer on one parallel
> > port if I'm not mistaking.
>
> Not to mention parallel port disks. :)

Yeah, on top of that :)
I just read a small part of the IEEE1284 (parallel port) spec. It is
possible to connect 20 devices to _one_ port by daisy-chaining and
multiplexing the devices. All in line with the spec! And all devices are
adressable.
At least two of the five possible devices in a daisy-chain will appear
sometimes in a HAL environment.
So we should do childs for it, if we find a device?

Kay