hal and usb mouse

Miek Gieben miek at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Sep 2 02:53:01 PDT 2004

[On 26 Aug, @ 01:40, David wrote in "Re: hal and usb mouse ..."]
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 10:56 +0200, Miek Gieben wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've read this thread:
> > http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/hal/2004-June/000282.html
> >
> > It takes about hal not handling input devices and from the looks of
> > it, it was taking care in that same thread. I'm now also playing
> > with hal and it still doesn't see my input dev. in the hal-device-manager.
> > This is under Debian Sarge/Unstable with:
> >
> > hal 0.2.97
> > dbus-1 0.22
> > udev 0.030
> >

> Hmm, this works for me, has done for some time, try killing the hal
> daemon (pkill hald) and run 'hald --daemon=no' as root and post the
> output if it doesn't work.

looking at this in more detail, on some other (almost identical
system), the hal-device-manager there _does_ see a usb mouse.

It seems to be kernel related:

the non-working system:
0000:00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 23)
0000:00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 23)

in hal-device-manager I can see these too, there are identified as
VT82xxxxx and there is no '>' icon on the left - so I cannot see any
of the attached devices.

On the working system:
0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 1a)
0000:00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 1a)

These are also identified in h-d-m as VT82xxxxx, but the main
difference here is that I do have a '>' icon and I can see the
attached devs.

Is there some (usb) kernel option that must be turned on for this to
work?

On the working system these extra options are enabled in the USB
config:

[*]   Enforce USB bandwidth allocation (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*]   Dynamic USB minor allocation (EXPERIMENTAL)

Or is the fact that the Controllers on the non working system are of
rev 1a enough to not make it work?

Thanks for any responses,

grtz Miek