[Intel-gfx] i915: severe lag after resume (was Re: i915: hotplug events gone wild)

Steven J Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Sat Feb 20 03:36:26 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 19:41 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 02:21:31PM -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:
>
> > We tried cleaning up the list of DP/HDMI outputs using the BIOS VBT
> > tables, but it turned out that some clever BIOSes (oh, how we hate
> > clever BIOSes) will not expose a DP/HDMI pair unless the laptop is
> > docked, so if you docked it later you wouldn't get your DP.  That got
> > backed out.  A question I have is whether when docked the VBT gets
> > munged to show the updated info.  There might be an opportunity then to
> > hook into docking to expose new connectors (or change them from
> > always-report-disconnected-and-not-check-i2c to check-i2c).
>
> If you want a notifier chain for docking events, we can make that
> happen.

I think something like this might be useful to fix the dock/undock bug*
in the psmouse module.  There's a bug in the kernel bugzilla about it
(but not a regression from any version I'm aware of).  Essentially every
time there's a dock event the psmouse driver reverts to plain ps2 mode
so to keep the Synaptics (AlpsPS2) touchpad working with the Synaptics
Xorg driver it's necessary to unload and reload psmouse.  I think it's
triggered by the additional PS2 port(s) appearing/disappearing with the
docking station.