Proposed: libxml2

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sat Jul 31 02:51:43 EEST 2004

I'm proposing EITHER OF libxml2 or Expat with this mail.

Rationale:
XML is one of the most important technologies to have emerged in the
last few years. It is very widely-used (not just in the enterprise, but
also in GNOME and IIRC KDE). I strongly believe one of the core
components of our platform must be an XML library.

However, this is a relatively complicated proposal: I do not know the
merits of libxml2 vs libexpat. I seem to recall libexpat being smaller,
but libxml2 enjoying far wider use.

I don't believe having two XML libraries in our platform is a good start
at all, and am mandating this an either/or choice.

Candidate versions:
libxml2: 2.6.x
Expat: 1.95.8 (I don't believe this will change - they have a mammothly
       slow release schedule)

Upstreams:
libxml2: xmlsoft.org (http://www.xmlsoft.org)
Expat: http://expat.sf.net