Xorg version number change

Mon Oct 11 09:03:26 PDT 2004

Roland Mainz wrote:
> Wasn't there a X11R6.5.1 release (and my Solaris/CDE desktop claims
> (=output of sdtwsinfo) to be based on X11R6.4.1) ?

Yes, X.Org put out a X11R6.5.1 release a few years ago.   Before that
X.Org hadn't used three digits, so Sun at the time chose to use the
third digit to indicate our version numbering - i.e. Solaris X11 6.4.1
is the Solaris 8 release of Xsun based on X.Org X11R6.4, and Solaris X11
6.6.1 is the Solaris 9 release of Xsun based on X.Org X11R6.6.   (Yes, it's
a bit confusing, but seemed less confusing than the previous method of just
sticking the OpenWindows versions numbers on the Solaris X server once we
announced the EOL of OpenWindows.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com